You may be wondering – who is Kate and why should I listen to anything she has to say about whole plant-based living? You are smart to be both curious and cautious!
You probably have a lot in common with me.
- Are you struggling with an illness like heart disease or diabetes or both?
- Are you overweight and no matter what you try, the pounds re-bound back and add a few more with each effort?
- Do you feel exhausted most nights, so you veg out in front of the t.v.?
- Does even the thought of exercise make you groan in agony before you have even moved a muscle?
- Do you reach for junk food to soothe or comfort you?
If you answered “yes” to even one of these questions – then my story will be of help to you.
Yes, that is my before picture weighing 120 pounds heavier, with a plastic moustache feeding me oxygen 24 hours a day facing only 2 to 5 years to live which also resulted in me becoming blind!
The video below is a good introduction to my story.
Let me support you in your mission for optimizing your health with practical strategies along the way.
Get to know Kate better…
Whole Plant-Based Lifestyles Studies
- Pharmacy Technician (in-hospital services)
- Former Registered Nurse (Operating Room; Bedside Medical Care; Camp Nurse)
- Post-secondary Lecturer at Algonquin College, Catholic University of America*, Wilfrid Laurier University*, University of Calgary*, Mount Royal University (* also Assistant to the Director of Field Practice, Faculty of Social Work)
- Clinician in individual, couple, family and group therapy and trainer in crisis intervention and in brief solution-focussed counselling – designing, developing, co-ordinating and supervising free on-site counselling services for students and their families from kindergarten to grade 12 (supervising 13 counsellors in 12 school sites) for a rural Albertan School Division; working with over 23 agencies/programs and in private practice in Calgary, Okotoks and High River, in addition to practicing in Ontario, the United States and Great Britain
- Area Coordinator with ACSW (Alberta College of Social Workers); Mentor;
- Volunteer Coordinator for Cystic Fibrosis Holiday Gift Wrapping (North Hill Mall);
- Co- Host of Fork Smart: Oil-free Whole Plant-based Living Calgary and Area Meet-Up;
- Instructor with Fork Smart. Org; Organizer of Heart Calgary.Com; Monthly Recipe Contributor (former Southern Alberta Support Group Facilitator) to the Pulmonary Hypertension Association of Canada;
- Initiator and Facilitator of MentoringMondays.Ca ( a free 360 Work Search Skills Program);
- Patient Advisor for Pregnancy Loss, Alberta Health Services; Patient Advisor for Cardiology and CCU, Peter Lougheed Centre and Respiratory Services, Alberta Health Services;
- Co-chair of Action for Healthy Kids Coalition; former Committee Member of the Canadian Transplant Association, Southern Alberta Region; Annual Conference Co-chair of the Alberta College of Social Workers
Become Fork Smart
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.